How to enjoy time away from home without sabotaging your diet.
Vacations are a time to kick back, relax, and for many of us, eat. But taking a break from the daily grind doesn’t mean you have to take a step back in your quest to lose weight or maintain a hard-earned weight loss.
Here are 6 simple steps to help you return home without packing on a few extra pounds:
- Make a choice. You don’t have to avoid everything delicious when you’re on vacation but you can’t have it all either. Consider your options, choose what you have to have and don’t waste calories on something you can easily get at home. If you’re constantly confronted by enticing options, just have a taste and savor it.
- Watch portions. Portion control is especially critical on vacation, when eating out is often the norm. Think about sharing an entree or having an appetizer for dinner. Don’t let yourself get too hungry by skipping meals or you’re more likely to overeat.
- Plan ahead. Bring nutritious snacks with you to keep you from getting too hungry when your schedule is unpredictable or to prevent overindulging in not-so-good-for-you treats.
- Drink cautiously. You may associate vacation with enjoying a few more alcoholic drinks than usual, but be cautious around alcohol. Calories add up quickly.
- Get moving. Most vacation destinations offer plenty of opportunities to stay active. Look into hotels that offer gyms. Walk the city streets. Swim or kayak. Play golf, tennis or basketball. The possibilities are endless.
- Enjoy non-food treats. If you feel relaxed and pampered on vacation, you’re less likely to choose food as an indulgence. Treat yourself to a massage, take a long bath, read a good book on the beach, do some shopping or sleep late.
Copyright 2017-2019 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: May 8, 2019
Editorial Review: Andrea Cohen, Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Medical Review: Jane Schwartz, RD