Running out of ways to stay energized and excited about life? Try these tips.
After a few months of living in a world inexplicably changed by the coronavirus pandemic, you may be in a funk. It’s very likely you’re experiencing some level of stress and anxiety as you continue to grapple with fears about the virus, as well as possible financial concerns, job loss and changes to routines. If you’re also just feeling the fatigue of living with a “new normal”, you’re not alone.
In times like these, it can be difficult to maintain your mental health. You may be worried, scared, sad or bored. It may feel like so much is out of your control. But one of the best things you can do for yourself is to practice self-care. It can keep you going when times are tough and may help get you out of a funk.
Here are 5 ways to change your focus and improve your mood:
- Learn something new. With fewer social activities taking up your time, it’s a great time to focus on things you’ve always wanted to learn. Try a new craft, learn a new language or take online dance lessons so you’ll have some new moves when it’s time to go back to the club.
- Express yourself. Find ways to get out of your own head on occasion. Write, draw, play music or start a gratitude journal. Sometimes all we need to get out of a funk or change our perspective is to express how we feel.
- Wear something new. Wearing the same things day after day since you don’t go out much? Put on a brightly colored outfit, buy a fun hat or splurge on a new pair of shoes. You’d be surprised by how a change in your look can change your outlook.
- Modify your routine. Your daily routine may have gotten a little too routine, and if so, it’s time to make some changes. Switch up your playlist. Try a new workout. Experiment with new recipes. Explore a new part of town.
- Plan an adventure. Even if you don’t feel comfortable travelling around the world right now, you can plan an adventure at home. Dreamed of going to Italy? Enjoy a romantic weekend complete with a virtual tour of the Italian countryside and a scenic bike ride ending with a picnic of authentic Italian bread, cheese and wine. The sky is the limit on your imagination!
Copyright 2020 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: May 21, 2020
Editorial Review: Andrea Cohen, Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Medical Review: Perry Pitkow, MD