Being fit requires a long-term commitment to exercise and healthy habits. Here’s how to do it.
Finding it difficult to stay committed to your fitness goals? It’s not as hard as you think to do so. The secret is that you just have to find ways to be accountable, motivated, prepared and interested. If you can successfully do that, you’ll be well on your way to being and staying fit.
Committed to being fitter? Here are 5 tips that can help:
- Set SMART goals. Make a list of what you hope to achieve so you have something to work towards. When setting goals, they should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-bound (SMART). Don’t just say “I’m going to run more.” Instead make a goal such as “Within 4 weeks, I plan to build up to running 3 miles at a time, 3 days a week.”
- Have a plan. Create a plan for what you are going to do and when you are going to do it. Add your workouts to your calendar just like any other appointment. Plan what you’re going to do before you start each workout. Leave out your clothes so they’re ready to go when you are. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
- Log your workouts. There’s a lot to be said for seeing what you do in writing. Research shows that keeping a food diary can help you lose weight. Maintaining an exercise journal and logging your workouts can also help you stay committed to your fitness goals. It will help you see what you’ve done and the progress you’ve made.
- Find a fitness buddy. If you need some motivation to keep showing up, knowing someone is relying on you to workout with them can help. Having a fitness buddy makes you accountable and also makes working out more fun. A workout partner can help you improve your form and may push you harder than you normally would if you were going it alone.
- Change things up. If you do the same thing day after day, you’ll start to get bored. The more bored you get, the less likely you’ll want to do it. Change the types of workouts you do on occasion or on different days of the week. Vary other aspects of your routine—the location, music you listen to or what you wear. Variety is the spice of life and will keep things interesting.
Copyright 2021-2022 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Date Last Reviewed: October 14, 2021
Editorial Review: Andrea Cohen, Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor
Medical Review: Perry Pitkow, MD