It only takes a minute to improve your circulation, combat the negative effects of prolonged sitting, and tone your lower body. You don’t need any special equipment or fitness expertise. Just stand up in front of your chair wherever you are and get started!
Chair squats strengthen and tone the quads, hamstrings, and glutes, while also improving balance and stability and increasing circulation.
When we sit for prolonged periods, it restricts circulation to the limbs and shortens the hip flexor muscles, which can lead to tightness and low-back pain. In addition, prolonged sitting increases the risk of several significant diseases including diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
Just one minute of exercise can make a big difference in your day and increase your energy and concentration.
Watch the following video and take a minute to participate with me in an exercise for total health! Got A Minute For Your Health Chair Squats
If you can’t access the video, here’s the drill:
- Stand about 6-12″ in front of your chair (make sure the chair is secure and won’t roll away).
- Place feet hip-to-shoulder width apart, with toes and knees pointing straight forward.
- Engage your abs by pulling your belly button in toward your spine (a deep exhale helps).
- Slowly, slowly lower down until your butt lightly touches the chair (don’t sit all the way down, that’s cheating!).
- Lead with your butt on the way down trying to keep the torso as tall as possible (it’s not about bending at the waist!).
- Then press through your heels and squeeze your glutes to come back up to standing. Repeat for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
It’s not a race, control is key. Also make sure your knees aren’t jutting past your toes as you bend.
If they are, move another few inches forward away from your chair.
That’s it! You’re finished! Include a quick quad stretch: while standing, bend one knee and using the opposite hand, grasp the foot or ankle, and pull your foot to your butt. Hold for 15 seconds and switch sides.
Authored By: Jana Sanford, CoreFitnessByJana
Jana is a certified Personal Trainer and Pilates Instructor with specializations in orthopedic exercise for injury prevention and recovery, in-home fitness and sport conditioning. As a former corporate exec and business traveler, Jana focuses on providing cost and time effective fitness solutions for corporate and individual wellness.
In addition to her private and small group classes in New York City, Jana provides online Pilates, Body Sculpting, Conditioning, Boot Camp and 1 Minute In-Office workouts at CoreFitnessByJana.com. Jana’s short modular workouts were designed to address the fitness needs of time constrained individuals and can be done anywhere as they require no equipment.